27 June 2014

London Bloggers Afternoon Tea at the Milestone Hotel

There's nothing I love more than the English tradition of afternoon tea.
                       
Afternoon tea in England dates back to the early nineteenth century wherein people would feel peckish in the early afternoon and would partake of tea and small sandwiches, and then maybe a walk about the gardens in order to hold themselves over till dinner. Most frequently it was a social occasion for people to catch up and enjoy each others company. So, something that was clearly going to be right up my alley. I am all about the mid-afternoon meal disguised as a snack.

Selena, over at Oh, The Places We Will Go, organized the blogger afternoon tea get-together a few weeks ago. I had seen over social media (Twitter is the best) about her putting together and hosting other afternoon teas at different places around London and I got in touch with her to join up. We used the hashtag #LDNBloggersTea if you want to search through the social media posts about these events.

 Blogging has turned into a great way to meet new people and I was excited to attend something as lovely as afternoon tea as a way to meet other bloggers. A fantastic idea from Selena and very well executed, I might add.

The tea itself was held at Milestone Hotel in Kensington. Right across from Kensington Palace and Gardens. Posh location indeed. And the hotel suited it's surroundings.


Don't be fooled by that photo, above. I may not be wearing my usual attire...pajamas pretending to be school clothes...I just wanted the other bloggers to think I was an adult too. And I put those heels on a block from the hotel, with Kensington Palace staring me in the face, being all judgey. What? Flats are perfectly acceptable commuting shoes. I wear heels for parties I get to sit down at. I'm, like, classy on a part-time basis.

Once we were all seated, we had introductions all around and Selena gave us all a warm welcome. The servers came around and offered us a selection of two different teas, English Breakfast or Early Grey. I'm sure there would have been more of a selection if there had been less of us. I think they may have narrowed our options down because we were a very large group of 23 camera ready bloggers. Typically you'd get to pick what tea you'd want from a large selection at all other afternoon teas I've partook of (and they've been numerous. I love a good afternoon tea.)


All of our sandwiches, scones and desserts were quite tasty, albeit very traditional. I got a little jealous over the other bloggers talking about their last tea they had where it was all very unique selections and the chef would tweet back and forth with them after. I do love a company that has a handle on social media.

But in all honesty, if you're visiting London from outside the UK and haven't had the pleasure of having afternoon tea, I would highly recommend The Milestone Hotel. If you're looking for traditional and quintessential, they've got it right here, and in such beautiful surroundings it's easy to be quite charmed with the place. 

Their desserts definitely held a lot of delight for me. I can't exactly tell you what they are, but they were extremely tasty. A good tip for other places, when you serve afternoon tea it's always helpful to provide a menu of the items at the table so you know what you're eating. Especially if someone wants to blog about it later!
Dessert on a stick. Yup. That's my favourite. With a caramel popcorn stuck on it. I want this for breakfast every day. Or as a reward when I do something good.

I hereby name this 'creamy thing with graham crackers'. Except England doesn't have graham crackers. But this was squishy and crispy all at the same time.

Overall it was a lovely tea. I really went to meet some other lovely London bloggers and I'm really glad I did.

After the tea, I took myself on a walk around Kensington Gardens. It really is remarkable how many people turn up to the parks when the sun is out. Seeing everyone out makes me very happy to be living here.

Purty London. 
xxLindsay

*We received a discounted rate for this tea, £30, No review was required and all opinions were my own. And I took a goodie bag of leftovers afterwards. Cause I'm classy and care about the environment. Don't waste that shit man, give it to me.

10 comments:

  1. I like the looks of that dessert on the stick! And I pretty much always wear flats. Blogger fail? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha never a blogger fail! Flat are definitely better most of the time. I just have these heels that collect so much dust. Need to take them out every now and then, however briefly haha x

      Delete
  2. Totally going to embrace the word "peckish"- so cute. I feel like I need to live in a land that "does" afternoon tea - it's so me!!!! Sadly, neither the USA or my current home in Italy puts much stock in it. Coming over from Rhyme and Ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Rhyme and Ribbons reader! She's my favourite! And 'peckish' is definitely a great word to add to ones vocabulary. I don't use it much when in America either, but have suddenly found use of it here in London for some reason. Weird how that happens. x

      Delete
  3. Love this post! You made me smile! Hope to see you at the next one! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited about the next one! Looks like a great place. It was lovely chatting with you at this past one, see you at the next! x

      Delete
  4. It was a lovely afternoon, despite the little irks. I wonder what they call a collective of tea-ing bloggers: a hubbub?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I like hubbub. Maybe tealogging: the process of blogging about afternoon tea? Now I'm probably going to ponder this all afternoon...and crave cake.

      Delete
  5. I love that you all did this! Reading posts about blogger meet ups makes me wish I was able to attend some myself. We have had one in Germany before but I missed it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun! Also makes you feel less weird about photographing everything. I highly recommend doing one just to meet some lovely people!

      Delete