13 June 2009

Quotes That Validate My Dreams.

Here's some quotes from Neil LaBute from the preface of his play "Reasons To Be Pretty", which I am currently in the process of reading. (In between all the millions of other books I'm currently reading as well. I really should learn to just focus on one at a time, but where's the fun in that?) I love coming across other people's work, or blogs, that really validate my decision pursue a paycheck in the performing arts field. It's annoying that so many people outside the world of arts are so discouraging of people that want to pursue something artistic. Being all "blah, blah, blah...no money....blah, blah, blah...too competitive." And I'm all I don't care, I don't want to hear it. It will be just as difficult and time consuming for me to try and be an actress as it would if I tried to be something more "sensible" like a librarian or a teacher or an administrative assistant. Expect when I try to work as an actress my soul sings instead of feeling like it's going to be ripped out (like when I work in retail or as a receptionist). So anyways...validation...thank you Mr. LaBute. Rock on.

"The worst day I've had writing is better than the best day I ever had working in a factory..."

and also I feel the same way about acting that he seems to feel about writing:

"We writers stare into a variety of mirrors, studying the faces of people we don't yet know as we make them up, working to create a series of believable psychological profiles for a bunch of folks who don't really exist. I prefer it to life most of the time, as it's much safer and a whole lot easier. These 'people' all seem to be the same as us, unfortunately--my flaws become theirs and their wants and loves grow out of my own, and suddenly I'm surrounded by the same miserable, lovely, lonely, sad, terrific people that I was escaping from in the first place."

Beautiful. I love reading about people who are passionate about their work. If you write a blog, or read a blog, that's all about being passionate about the creative, send it to me. I'd love to spend my free time reading that instead of watching soul-less reality tv. I'm sorry "The Little Couple", you're adorable and cute...but we need to break up. I gots me some plays to read.

And scene. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment